- Looking forward to attending #NTUreimagined 2 months ago
- RT @hardy_alison: Planning episodes this evening for Series 3 of the Talking D&T podcast. This one focuses on design education and curricul… 3 months ago
- RT @textileinst: Slow fashion: how to keep your favourite clothes for ever – from laundering to moth-proofing Expert tips on buying to la… 3 months ago
- RT @textileinst: How to turn every piece of clothing into an e-textile These #etextiles generate electricity from the wearer's movements… 3 months ago
- RT @slawsonworc: Look what’s landed! @hardy_alison @sdsdavies @DavidBarlex @tsteeg @Roehamptonroo @The_DT_Geek @WoodGriffiths @LouiseBeat… 3 months ago
Author Archives: sdsdavies
Last October (2015) I started my EdD at University of Nottingham. The Programme Leader, Professor Jeremy Hodgen suggested that we practices writing 500 words a day (three days a week, due to part time status). He promoted this, as a … Continue reading
How has the SCALE-UP teaching environment been used to explore ‘new ways of learning’ within Initial Teacher Education (ITE) modules?
Beichner, R.J., Saul, J.M., Abbott, D.S., Morse, J., Deardorff, D., Allain, R.J., Bonham, S.W., Dancy, M. and Risley, J., 2007. The student-centered activities for large enrollment undergraduate programs (SCALE-UP) project. Research-Based Reform of University Physics, 1 (1), 2-39. Bennett, S., and Maton, … Continue reading
I am writing this post to model the reflective journal technique that I discussed with my BSc Year 1 Secondary Design and Technology Education (SDTE) students on Tuesday. What? In the session we our first go at PBL. The students … Continue reading
This might be the first of several post’s written to analyse my involvement in this project. In my post ‘What is SCALE-UP?’ I discussed the concept behind the idea of replacing large lecture/lab teaching with studio style/PBL type teaching. This is because evidence of … Continue reading
Student-Centred Activities for Large Enrolment Undergraduate Programmes (SCALE-UP) is a new pedagogy developed by Robert Beichner at North Carolina State University. The philosophy behind SCALE-UP is based on pedagogies which are designed to support students with the active engagement of their own learning. Beichner (2008, p.61) identifies how studio/workshop classes (often small scale) allow for … Continue reading
I am going to be using this blog to discuss the SCALE-UP project that I am involved with at NTU. The SCALE-UP project has come from R Beichner and is based on work from MIT.
Alison has set up a google map page to view D&T schools. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&mpa=0&ctz=-60&mpf=0&vps=78&jsv=373i&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=215267467062172069939.0004afa6c6626ef5aaac6
Spherical flying machine