- RT @jeffbuckley92: Very pleased to have today taken the role of Associate Editor for the International Journal of Technology & Design Educa… 1 week ago
- RT @compoundchem: It's the #euro2020 final this evening! Here's a look at the materials science behind the ball ( compoundchem.com/2014/06/12/the…) a… 1 week ago
- RT @ldpressbooks: Delighted to report that the eBook of our new publication edited by @hardy_alison and Eddie Norman is now available: http… 1 week ago
- RT @hardy_alison: Book Launch - Redesigning D&T… Talking… Thinking You will hear from Alison Hardy, Eddie Norman & David Spendlove. opportu… 1 month ago
- RT @dtte_group: Read our latest blogpost on the D&T Teacher Education Blog, by @brath52 (@FoodTCentre), focusing on the importance of food… 1 month ago
Category Archives: teaching with digital technology
How has the SCALE-UP teaching environment been used to explore ‘new ways of learning’ within Initial Teacher Education (ITE) modules?
Beichner, R.J., Saul, J.M., Abbott, D.S., Morse, J., Deardorff, D., Allain, R.J., Bonham, S.W., Dancy, M. and Risley, J., 2007. The student-centered activities for large enrollment undergraduate programs (SCALE-UP) project. Research-Based Reform of University Physics, 1 (1), 2-39. Bennett, S., and Maton, … Continue reading
I am writing this post to model the reflective journal technique that I discussed with my BSc Year 1 Secondary Design and Technology Education (SDTE) students on Tuesday. What? In the session we our first go at PBL. The students … Continue reading
This might be the first of several post’s written to analyse my involvement in this project. In my post ‘What is SCALE-UP?’ I discussed the concept behind the idea of replacing large lecture/lab teaching with studio style/PBL type teaching. This is because evidence of … Continue reading
Student-Centred Activities for Large Enrolment Undergraduate Programmes (SCALE-UP) is a new pedagogy developed by Robert Beichner at North Carolina State University. The philosophy behind SCALE-UP is based on pedagogies which are designed to support students with the active engagement of their own learning. Beichner (2008, p.61) identifies how studio/workshop classes (often small scale) allow for … Continue reading
I am going to be using this blog to discuss the SCALE-UP project that I am involved with at NTU. The SCALE-UP project has come from R Beichner and is based on work from MIT.